On Mac keyboards, the ” and @ are transposed compared to the standard British keyboard layout. To make the keys behave as displayed on the keyboard, I used the following procedure:-
- Download the keylayout file as described http://www.gingerbeardman.com/UK.keylayout/ and place the UK.keylayout file under your home directory in Library/Keyboard Layouts
- Log out, then log back in
- Choose System Prefs -> Language & Text, and select the “Input Sources” tab
- Scroll down the list to the ‘UK’ entry, and tick the box. (The British layout is still ticked, and is greyed out)
- Tick the box ‘Show Input menu in menu bar’
- In the system menu bar at the top of the screen, there should be a small Union Jack symbol. Right click on that, and select the ‘UK’ keyboard symbol. This activates your new keyboard layout.